Monday, August 11, 2014

Why are we still overweight?

  





He look so cute right? Oh yeah....

Some parents don't mind because maybe.....



Or if the parents are serious, they are forced to send the kids to......







Living in a beautiful place like Malaysia, besides the peace with my friends and colleagues from all races, there is one thing that I do not and wont deny is that we have abundance in FOODS. 

If you realize, when we see a friend besides greeting  selamat pagi (good morning), we usually also ask, dah makan belum? (have you eaten?). Yes yes.


Lets see, dim sum, nasi lemak with that "peha" goreng, nasi briyani gulai tenggiri, not to mention Korean BBQ, Spanish etc etc.........u got it right? 

Affordable foods is just around the corner. Everywhere in Malaysia.




But let us see some info from investvine.com  (http://investvine.com/malaysians-most-obese-in-southeast-asia/). 






and from thestar.com (http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/06/16/obesity-malaysia-highest-in-asia-says-pm-science-advisor/)

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia has been rated as the highest among Asian countries for obesity.

Science Advisor to the Prime Minister, Tan Sri Zakri Abdul Hamid, said new findings from British medical journal, The Lancet, showed that 49% of women and 44% of men in this country were found to be obese.

 "This is a very big problem because it has implication on diabetes, heart problem and others and our Prime Minister has also asked the global science and innovation advisory council to work on this," he told reporters.

According to a new study published last month by The Lancet, Malaysia was rated heavyweight at 45.3% of its population, followed by South Korea (33.2%), Pakistan (30.7%) and China (28.3%).





So what's next then?

Next step is how not to be obese, right? Easier said my friend. 

So before I ask other people, i ponder and ask myself these questions (yes, i was obese and strictly speaking my BMI now is not perfect yet too)......what activity can make me loose weight, have fun, make friends and most importantly achieve the results i wanted? Which is to look fantastic.

Yes we have plenty of fitness gyms out there. I ask myself, ya the classes look interesting but after 2-3 years, there is only so many moves you can do on that stationary bicycle, and other classes that they may offer you.

Only thing that may, yes may keep me going is maybe hot chicks or the pumped up music/sound system. But that is only me.

Jogging, swimming, hiking all these are wonderful activities that i also enjoy till now. But its outdoors and you must have the motivation to go alone, mind rain or shine.

In my teens, i was obese like at 18 yo at 173cm i was 86+kg. But i don't care and never thought at it as an issue cause i said to myself, iam young its ok what. Out of curiosity and fun, i joined taekwondo once with my friends, loss weight and learn self defense perfect right? Great. 

1st day i was kicking the punch bag so hard, i didn't even mind to fill up the club membership form, yes i was a wimp.

After that i search online, ahhh a gentle sport, Judo. WRONG. I got thrown around like a rag dog. At the time in 2001 when i joined, there was a Olympian head coach from China hired  to coach at Judo Club Sabah, and a Japanese teenager that came here as a exchange student program. 

And at the time assisted by 2 local black belts. One of him now my good friend Mr.Dennis.I wont forget him ever. He only at the age of 22-23 representing Malaysia to the SEA games. He was 138kg at 6 foot tall. First day i saw him i believe i am gonna die for sure.

But still, they did took "care"of me. So i persevered for around 2 years. Then I stopped due to my Pre-U studies.

I have to say, although it was tough, painful and damn the dojo was humid and in my thick gi, i was sweating, loosing weight, learning Judo and having fun. Dang.

For the first time! I learned grip fighting, balance, break fall and other values like perseverance, correct way of learning and problem solving. Maybe is the China and the Japanese culture work ethics that keep me going. I am not sure. But it was new and fascinating to me.

Even after a while, i feel uneasy if i didn't get thrown by somebody across the room. Or drilling my uchi-mata with my friends. It was the greatest experience i had.

I had so much fun learning and coming to the dojo, i didn't care if i was loosing weight or not, if the weather is good or not, i don't know if others are not coming for training or not etc. I was addicted on how to get better, faster, beat that other guy etc.

My point is guys, when you are having fun working out (properly & consistently). The benefits of becoming fit comes naturally. It will and you cannot stop that. You will get fit.

So, after so much of my grandma old stories. Find the one passion or activity that keeps you going, work it, be consistent, have fun. Due time my friend you will reap the fruits.

That's all folks and keep on rollin' baby.


 










No comments:

Post a Comment